Thai-style veal blanquetteMedium
- 600g boneless shoulder or back rib of veal
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 small red chilli pepper
- 50g butter
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 1 carrot
- 32g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 20cl coconut milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 kaffir lime (combava), juiced
- ½ bunch coriander
- Step 1Cut meat into cubes. Cut lemongrass into chunks. Peel and finely slice ginger. Slice chilli peppers.
- Step 2Brown 40g butter in large frying pan (or wok) then add veal cubes. Season with salt and pepper, and leave to brown. Add flour and stir to baste meat.
- Step 3Cover with cold water, add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, chillies and curry paste then cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hrs 30 mins.
- Step 4Wash, peel and slice carrots. Add them to meat and continue cooking for 30 mins.
- Step 5Meanwhile, slice the shiitake mushrooms and sear in remaining butter for a few minutes.
- Step 6Remove meat and carrots from pan, stir in the coconut milk, cover and reduce for about 10 mins.
- Step 7Beat egg yolk together with a ladleful of sauce. Add the kaffir lime juice, blend well then pour back into pan, whisking briskly. Then stir in the remaining 10g butter and mix well.
- Step 8Put the meat and vegetables back into the sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Step 9Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with Thai rice.