- 1 chicken (approx. 1.5kg)
- 1 stick celery, cut in chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 slices pancetta
- ½ bunch mixed herbs
- 1.5l chicken stock
- 100g fresh peas, shelled
- 250g biavetta (or another small pasta)
- 2 courgettes
- 2 carrots
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- For serving: small jar of pesto
- Step 1Cut up the chicken. Cut the pancetta into fairly large pieces.
- Step 2Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. Stir in the chicken parts, onion, carrots, celery and pancetta. Brown over high heat for a few minutes.
- Step 3Add the mixed herbs, cover with the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Step 4Lower the heat and simmer for 30 mins. Remove the chicken and strain the stock. Remove the skin from the chicken and bone it. Cut the chicken meat into small pieces.
- Step 5Rinse the courgettes under running water and cut into thin slices. Peel the carrots and cut into thin slices. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Step 6Put the stock back into a clean pot, tip in the carrot slices and bring to a boil again. Stir in the peas and pasta. Salt and pepper to taste. Leave to cook for 5 mins.
- Step 7Stir in the courgettes, cherry tomatoes and chicken. Leave to cook for 5 mins more. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 8Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately, accompanied by farmhouse bread and pesto.