Pavlova with poached pears and caramelMedium
- 3 egg whites
- 95g caster sugar
- 95g icing sugar, sifted
- 150g 30%-fat single cream, very cold
- 65g mascarpone, cold
- 1 vanilla pod
- 40cl water
- 200g brown sugar
- ½ vanilla pod
- ½ stick of cinnamon
- 2 seeds from cardamom pod
- 1 tsp rooibos tea
- 5 small pears
- ½ small jar of salted caramel
- Step 1Preheat oven to 100°C
- Step 2Clarify the eggs. Pour the whites in a mixer bowl and start whisking at a low, constant speed until frothy. Pour in both sugars gradually and continue whisking until the meringue forms peaks.
- Step 3Spread a circle of the meringue on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making a nest shape by flattening the meringue down slightly. Bake for 2 hrs.
- Step 4Place the mascarpone, cream and vanilla seeds in the mixer bowl. First, start whisking at a low, then medium, speed for a few minutes until the whipped cream has increased in volume and gotten foamy, but not too firm. Refrigerate.
- Step 5Bring the water (with the sugar, scraped vanilla pod, spices and tea) to a boil. Add the peeled pears, then cook for about 15 mins until pears are tender.
- Step 6Strain and leave to cool.
- Step 7Just before serving, spoon the whipped cream onto the meringue, top with the cold poached pears and swirl with salted caramel. Serve immediately.